EVENT: How to make due diligence work in agricultural value chains?
26 January, 14.00-16.00 CET
European Parliament (Room Spinelli 5E1) & online
Hosts: Heidi Hautala MEP and Christophe Hansen MEP
If you missed the event:
You can watch the recording here. And read a summary of the event here.
The event will bring together smallholder farmers from different countries and sectors and key EU decision makers involved in the legislative process of the proposed EU Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence Directive. The objective is to hear the views, concerns and expectations of smallholders – who will be directly influenced by the CS3D but are often absent from consultations on EU policies.
The event will also discuss the achievements, challenges and opportunities of the EU Cocoa Talks and the models that the ensuing partnerships can offer for resolving the specific issues such as pricing and traceability to enable a living income to the cocoa farmers, and find sustainable solutions to the eradication of child labor and deforestation.
Christophe Hansen MEP
Keynotes – Smallholder realities
- Kpomin Minrienne Kole Edi, President of the board – Société coopérative agricole fraternité d’Adzopé, Ivory Coast
- Pedro Custódio Marenja, Project Officer at the Mozambique National Cotton Producers Forum (FONPA), Mozambique
- Pison Kukundakwe, Principal Quality Officer, Ankole Coffee Producers Cooperative Union Limited (ACPCU), Uganda
- Napolean Anak Royal Ningkos, President of Sarawak Dayak Oil Palm Planters Association (DOPPA), Malaysia
The case of cocoa – developing instruments to enable effective implementation of due diligence
- Antonie Fountain, Managing Director – Voice Network
- Virginie Mahin, Senior Director Global Social Sustainability & Stakeholder Engagement – Mondelēz International
- Alex Assanvo, Executive Secretary – Initiative Cacao Côte d’Ivoire-Ghana (ICCIG)
- Gyinayeh Daniel Amponsah, Union President of Asunafo Cocoa Farmers (Ghana)
Harnessing the potential of the CSDDD for development
- Boukje Theeuwes, Head of Policy Influencing at Solidaridad
- Sebastian Lesch, Head of the Agriculture Department – German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
- Hannah Koep-Andrieu, Head of Due Diligence, OECD Centre for Responsible Business Conduct
- Peter Hofland, EU Market & Trade Policy Advisor Government Relations EMEA – Cargill
Comments by the European Commission – Cécile Billaux, Head of Unit, Micro-economic Analysis, Investment Climate, Private Sector, Trade and Employment (INTPA.E.2)
Heidi Hautala MEP