International Youth Dialogues: Impacts of EU Trade Agreements on the Global South
The Young Fair Trade Advocates (YFTAs) launched a series of webinars in February and March with speakers from the Global South about the impacts of EU Trade Agreements regarding labour rights, economic sustainability, gender and environment.
The aim of this series of webinar was to amplify the voices of people from the Global South in discussions about EU trade agreements with their countries and regions that affect them. These discussions will be shared with Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) so that they can keep the Global South’s points, ideas, demands, and recommendations in mind when making decisions about EU Trade Agreements.
The four Dialogues took place in February and March 2023. If you missed them, you can watch the recordings below:
1. Dialogue on Labour Rights
“My Work, My Rights” – February 7th at 3pm to 4:30pm CET. Watch the recording here.
- Ana Romero Cano, Member of Peru’s Domestic Advisory Group
- Jorge Acosta, Union leader Trade Union of Agricultural Workers and Farmers (ASTAC) and human rights defender
- Enrique Daza, member of Colombia’s Domestic Advisory Group
2. Dialogue on Economic Sustainability
“Low Prices, High Costs” – February 21st at 6pm to 7.30pm CET. Watch the recording here.
- Marike De Peña, Director and co-founder of the cooperative Banelino
- Brendah Akankunda, Program officer in charge of investment for sustainable development at SEATINI
- Muhammad Azizul Islam, Professor in Sustainability Accounting & Transparency from University of Aberdeen Business School
3. Dialogue on Gender
“The Unheard Voices” – March 7th at 3pm to 4:30pm CET. Watch the recording here.
- Carolina Pavese, PhD in international Relations from the London Schools of Economics, Assistant Professor at ESPM (Brazil), where she holds a Jean Monnet Chair.
- Deborah Osei-Mensah, Operations Manager at Asunafo Cocoa Farmers (Ghana)
- Nicki Becker, Climate activist and co-founder of Jóvenes por el Clima, part of Fridays for Future movement (Argentina)
4. Dialogue on Environmental Sustainability
“Not a Gold Mine” – March 21st at 3pm to 4:30pm CET. Watch the recording here.
- Luis Jimenez Caceres, spokesperson Atacama Indigenous People (Chile)
- Mike Anane, journalist focusing in electronic waste (Ghana)
- Carolina de Moura, human rights and environmental defender (Brazil)
Follow the Young Fair Trade Advocates on Twitter or Instagram for regular updates on future activities and events.