EU Textile Strategy: Civil Society’s demands to MEPs
January 2023, Brussels – In the context of the consideration of the European Parliament’s draft report on the EU Strategy for sustainable and circular textiles, the FTAO and 6 other civil society organisations put together a list of 12 actions that are needed for the Textile Strategy to deliver on its promise to make sustainable – both environmentally as well as socially – textile products the norm.
We call on MEPs to take action on:
- Developing ambitious and holistic ecodesign requirements
- Tackling global overproduction
- Ensuring a Just Transition
- Ensuring fairer purchasing practices
- Enabling the transparency of supply chains
- Implementing due diligence accountability
- Taking action on ultra-fast fashion
- Putting green and social washing to an end
- Implementing EU trade policy that rewards sustainability
- Maximising local re-use of textiles
- Phasing out hazardous chemicals in textiles
- Ensuring sustainable textile production in Europe
Read the full joint paper here.