European Youth Event 2021 – Sustainable and fair: Rethinking the EU trade agreement model
On 9 October 2021, the FTAO co-hosted a discussion as part of the European Youth Event 2021 on how to rethink the EU trade agreement model to make it fair and sustainable. The world’s most vulnerable populations are most likely to suffer the consequences of the climate crisis. It is imperative for the EU to address this issue by considering the social and environmental dimensions of its trade policy.
MEP Margarida Marques was our host, and we had the privilege to hear from her and from other top-level experts and policymakers. Young people from across Europe, including the Young Fair Trade Advocates, had the chance to follow the discussion and ask questions to the panellists.
The panel was composed of:
- Maria Martin-Prat, Deputy Director General at the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Trade. She delivered the keynote speech.
- Pascal Lamy, President Emeritus of the Institut Jacques Delors.
- Mathilde Dupré, co-director of the Institut Veblen.
- Sergi Corbalán, Executive Director of the Fair Trade Advocacy Office.
- Margarida Marques, Member of the European Parliament for Portugal, Socialists and Democrats Group, and member of the Parliament’s Committee on International Trade. She served as moderator.